Skip to main content

"If you want some accessible but informative insight into football then I suggest you couldn't do better than the Political Economy of Football website, which is not only intelligible but comes with the added bonus of being written by Addicks fan Wyn Grant."
Ben Hayes - Charlton Athletic programme

Hereford United suspended


Hereford United have been suspended from 'all football activity' by the Football Association.   the club failed to answer questions in relation to the owners' and directors' test.

The club’s majority shareholder, Alan McCarthy, had been charged with acting as an officer of Hereford United without written confirmation from the FA to do so.

The FA' s statement said,  “Having failed to comply with the orders of the Independent Regulatory Commission, both Hereford United and Alan McCarthy are suspended from all football and football activity with immediate effect.

“The club and Mr McCarthy, officer of Hereford United FC, were ordered to fully and correctly comply with their obligations under the owners’ and directors’ test regulations by 4pm on Thursday 4 December 2014.

“Following consideration of a document submitted by the club, the Independent Regulatory Commission gave the parties until 4pm on Monday 8 December 2014 to submit further documentation to satisfy the orders of the commission.

“Having failed to provide the requested further documentation by the deadline, both Hereford United and Mr McCarthy shall remain suspended until such time as the order of the Independent Regulatory Commission has been complied with to the satisfaction of the commission.

“The FA understands the importance of football clubs to their local communities and will continue to work with all relevant parties to ensure senior football returns to Hereford at the earliest opportunity, although this will be contingent on the club complying with the regulations and subsequent orders of the Independent Regulatory Commission.”

However, confusion continued to surround the club.   On BBC Midlands television last night, the manager was insisting that Saturday's game against Dunstable Town would go ahead.

The club faces another winding up order hearing on Monday in the High Court and may not secure another reprieve.